Monday, October 20, 2014

Awesome, Pure Awesome

Where on earth do I even begin? Oslo has been on FIRE with miracles. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!!!!! But here are some highlights for the week:
- Farewells :(
- I'm officially a mom (aka trainer)!
- WE MET WITH ELISABETH.
- Wednesday night: Baptism!
- New Investigator: Andis
- Saturday: Street Stand "Meet the Mormons"
- The random call... on a Sunday night.
- The 411 on Sister House
- Spiritual Thought: "From time to time"
 
The week has had lots of exciting things happening left and right. I said goodbyes to Sisters Chapman (my previous companion), Johnson (my trainer), Harrison, Roe, Nance, Pyne, Thurgood, Hodgekiss, McArthur, Oldham, and Pitts (all of whom I've had the wonderful priviledge to serve with). It was sad to see them all go, but I know that they're off to continue on their incredible journeys. I wasn't here for their entire missions but I do know that each one of them has made an impact in the work here in Norway. They are all my heros :)
And now I have officially begun training! It's been a bit hectic with the baptism that happened on Wendesday night and getting the final preparations for the street stand on Saturday but it has been an incredible kick off. More on this as it develops!
Right after I picked up Sister House, we met with Elisabeth. OH MAH GOODNESS IT WAS SO GOOD TO SEE HER! It has been about five weeks since we last saw her. She's had bad health problems but now she is doing so much better! We caught up with what has been going on with her and finding out where she stands with baptism. Due to the very long break we had, we ended up dropping her date for the 25th BUT she still wants to work towards getting baptized. We are meeting with her today to try and pick back up the momentum we had before. She truly is incredible and I just love her so much!
Wednesday night was the baptism of Tonje. It was so special because the missionaries who first found and taught her (Sister Pyne and Pitts) were able to be there and be apart of the program. It was such a great turnout too! Elisabeth and other investigators were also able to come. The spirit was just so powerful. 

We found a new investigator named Andis who we met last week from the last street stand we did. He is from Latvia, works as a network marketer, has an adorable 8 year old daughter named Kate, and he is just awesome! We went through the restoration with him. He has a belief that there is a higher power but he doesn't know if it is God of why he needs a Savior. As we read from the Book of Mormon and discussed the scriptures, you could see the Spirit really working through him. Have I mentioned how much I love being a missionary? It is so incredible!

On Saturday, we had our "Meet the Mormons" street stand. We had a little tent roof which was lucky because it was down pouring rain. I love contacting people in the rain! People get more curious as to why we go out in the rain/bad weather no matter what. Sister House was a contacting companion! Just 4 days in the land and she just dominated! We met tons of great people. One was a man who was visiting from England. He stopped to look at the Plan of Salvation poster we drew. I went up to talk with him and just taught him the plan right there. He was SO COOL! His name is Sonny and he's been trying to figure out what the purpose of life is all his life. We were able to get his contact information so the missionaries in England can meet up with him. Ah! I really hope our paths will cross again someday in the future.

So... On Sunday night we had something unique happen. We get home and start doing our daily planning when my phone rings. I don't know the number so I answer saying its the missionaries. I ended up having a thirty minute conversation with this man named David about how God still works through prophets today and how he wants to stop doing all the bad things he's doing now. I remember telling him how I know that is was no coincidence that he called us and that the first thing he could do to begin quitting with his addiction was to meet with us. He agreed to meet. He also..................... kind of............ asked me to marry him. Awkward?? I did my best to keep cool and got him to agree to meet at the  center in the city. So, we have an appointment with him this upcoming Tuesday. We shall see how that goes!

The 411 on Sister Syndey (Opera) House (Haha :P)!
Born in Houston, Texas and lived in Park City, Utah for the past 8 years. Her mom is from Texas and served a mission in Brazil, her dad is a convert from South Africa, and she has two little sisters (17 and 11). Her entire family loves playing volleyball and they are super tall! 
Sister House went to BYU and Utah State studying business marketing. Loves fashion, pasta, and.... me :) 

To close, I would like to share something that I learned from personal studies this morning. I was reading in 1 Nephi 17-18 about how Nephi builds the ship. Something that I never saw before was something from 1 Nephi 18:1 - "...And the Lord did show me from time to time after what manner I should work the timbers of the ship." For some reason, I had always assumed that Nephi got the revelation of how to build the ship all at once. When in reality, the Lord helped Nephi receive the knowledge little by little until he was ready to get all the knowledge. That is the same for us. Whether we are wanting instructions for what to do for investigators, students, co-workers, our future, whatever it may be, the instruction does come. The Lord truly is aware of each one of us and He knows what we can handle. Sometimes we feel like the Lord leaves us hanging, when in reality He is blessing us with an opportunity to use our agency to seek more knowledge. Our faith is tested by us having to find the answer to the five questions: Who? What? Where? Why? How? The Lord gives us just enough knowledge that we can still go forward to seek the remaining answers we need. I love the Lord and little by little I come to understand how much He loves each one of us.

I hope you each remember how incredible you are. Have a great week :)

Love,
Sister Buhler 

No comments:

Post a Comment